Sunday, August 21, 2016

1. Vaishnavam is not just a religion

Welcome to this blog.

It is Indian tradition to first welcome anyone visiting our place, whether the person is known to us or not. I am especially grateful to you, the visitor, for having chosen to check this blog without knowing anything about me, how qualified I am to write about this subject etc. I guess that it is the topic that has attracted you to this blog. I am also aware that some of the visitors to this blog are people who have read some of my other blogs and have visited this blog expecting something readable!

So, let me start with an introduction. Who am I and what am I going to write in this blog?

I was born in a Vaishnavite family, a family that has consideed Vishnu to be the God and worshipped Him and His Consort Mahalakshmi. When I was a boy, my mother would tell me a lot about Vaishnavite traditions and beliefs. I became interested in Vaishnavite philosophy and began to attend discourses on Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavatham etc. I also read a few books and learnt some basic things about Vaishnavism. My reading was limited because I didn't have access to a lot of books on the one hand and I had to devote a major part of my time towards my school education on the other.

As I grew up and my thinking matured, I was able to understand things a little more deeply. I was enthralled by the richness of the Vaishnavite philosophy, brought to us through a vast literature comprising the puranas,  Alwar's hymns etc. on the one side and the large number of treatises and commentaries on the Vedas, Upanishads, Puranas, Bhagawat Gita, Brahma Sutra etc. on the other.

While there are several traditions of Vaishnavism, the Ramanuja tradition is probably the richest in terms of the literature on the scriptures. It is also the most popular. The Ramanuja tradition is called SriVaishnavism because it emphasizes that Mahalakshmi (Sri), the embodiment of compassion and kindness is always a part of Vishnu. The exalted status in which Mahalakshmi is placed in the Ramanuja tradition makes this tradition unique.

I cannot claim to have realized God but I have experienced the guidance and help of God on many occasions. The significance of such guidance and help has always looked much higher in retrospect than I could realize at the time of receiving such guidance. I have come to believe that Vaishnavam is a way of life (though 'Vaishnavism' may appear to be the more appropriate word, I prefer 'Vaishnavam' because it appeals to me better as a term denoting a path one follows, while 'Vaishnavism' sounds somewhat dogmatic. This is just my personal feeling!)

While the ultimate objective of a Vaishnavite could be to realize God, worshipping Vishnu will also help us lead our life in this world in a much better way. I am not suggesting miracles will happen to a Vaishnavite. But one will feel more comfortable, more peaceful and hence more happy in one's day to day life. This has been my experience.

Therefore I thought I would share some basic things about Vaishnavism that may be of interest to all. I am not a scholar or an expert on Vaishnavite philosophy. But I feel what little I have learnt is worth sharing.

I have been writing a blog on Vaishnavam in Tamil and I understand that many people have found it interesting and useful. This has encouraged me to write a blog in Tamil. This blog is not going to be an English translation of my Tamil blog. I plan to make it different though both the blogs may have some common topics. I expect the readers of the two blogs to be different. Hence I will structure this blog to cater to the interests of the potential readers.

Comments are enabled. I request you to share your views and convey your feedback.

Thank you for reading this information. You may look forward to some interesting posts on a regular basis.

May the readers of this blog be showered with the blessings of Mahalakshmi and Mahavishnu.

No comments:

Post a Comment